As autumn rolls around, we offer a recipe that’s a favorite to generations of families. These toasted treats are simple to make.
- 1 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 4 cups water
- 2 tbsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp. Old Bay seasoning
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Separate seeds from flesh and strings by putting them in a colander, rinsing them well and using your hands.
- Rinse cleaned seeds.
- Mix water, salt and cleaned seeds into a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- Drain seeds.
- Cool briefly and blot dry.
- Combine seeds with oil and Old Bay seasoning in a bowl. Mix well.
- Spread seeds one layer thick on a four-sided baking sheet or pizza pan coated with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bake 30 to 40 minutes until seeds reach desired brownness and stirring every 5 to 10 minutes. (This may require more frequent stirring toward the end of baking.)
- Cool before eating.
Source: Oklahoma Cooperative Extension Service