SANTA FE RAILROAD DEPOT
Historic Roger Mills Preservation Foundation
The Clinton & Oklahoma Western Railroad was constructed between 1908-1912. The terminus of the railroad is located five miles northeast of Cheyenne at a town called Strong City. The residents of Cheyenne used municipal funds to build a railroad that connected Cheyenne to Strong City. At that time, Cheyenne was the only town in the U.S. to own its own railroad line. In 1928, the Santa Fe Railroad bought the track and extended the railroad service to Pampa, Texas, greatly expanding development in western Oklahoma.